Thursday, April 14, 2005

it's true

My name is Kelly. I was a weaving major. Actually, that is only half true. I was half a weaving major and half a graphic design major. That is because my father did most of the funding of my education, and wanted me to have some practical skills. But I'm okay with that now.

It's actually called a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a concentration in Fibers. At The University of Michigan. [Which, if you attended school there, you have to pronounce properly: THEE University of Michigan. Your nose must be elevated above the person(s) you are speaking to.]

Yes, I really did underwater basket weaving. (I can't currently find a link that is not a joke.) A common misconception is that the weaver herself (or himself) has to be underwater. Actually only the basket does. Which does make it a lot less exciting for anyone but an artist.

No, I really don't do any weaving any more, at least not at the moment. As a friend of mine said about ten years ago, and I didn't really understand until about six years ago when my son was born - a loom takes up about as much space as a baby crib.

My husband and I live with our four young children in a trailer - so I don't have a loom anymore. But I have a garden, and a lot of craft ideas, and a computer - hence a new weblog.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Omnipotent Sponge said...

You should have put in a link to your cool computer.

4/15/2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

...and now you did.

Thanks again to mykl for helping us get one. :-)

4/15/2005 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home