Friday, May 20, 2005

garden happenings


Oh joy, oh rapture... it's finally really Spring in the upper peninsula! Above: maple leaves! These photos were all taken Wednesday April 18.

Blooming:

Strawberries, both tame and wild. The flowers with dark centers have been hit by frost and will not make berries.

Bulbicodum Conspicuus in full bloom, at end of post. It's a lot smaller than I expected - from a distance they look like more dandelions in my yard.

Preparing to bloom:

wild Nodding Trillium


Fritillaria Meleagris, above. For some reason, out of the 25 or so bulbs I planted, I only got two blooms, and maybe five plants total.

My gardening to-do list, based on what survived and what didn't:

  • Pump house: move surviving Fritillaria bulbs together in front of the pump house.
  • dig up some wild Wintergreen (I saw some one town over from where we live) and try it in the sunken pot with the cranberries.
  • find something to plant in the wet shade, back of the pump house, where the corsican mint is breathing its last

  • garden in front of house: move all of the Iris danfordiae to the iris garden.
  • find a home for the single solitary purple Iris d. that made it in to the bag of yellow bulbs I bought
  • move the crocus Korolkowii out of the strawberry patch
  • get rid of the overgrown green onions
  • weed and mulch the back half of the garden, esp. the asparagus

  • side yard: move the rest of the Bulbicodum Conspicuus from side yard to front rock garden
  • try parsley again?

  • rock garden: just ignore it until everything else is tidied up.
I'm sure there's more to do, only I can't remember it at the moment.

My big discovery: I like to look at plants up close. I've always got the camera in macro mode. This attitude does not lend itself to good overall garden design. My one-acre yard is not that pretty... it's a disorganized jumble of plants which, individually, are beautiful. Perhaps I missed a calling to some tiny urban garden plot that only COULD be viewed up-close!

0 Comments:

<< Home