Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Stars upon Thars



I made this curtain about six years ago when my first child was about 6 months old. I had painted kids' book characters all over the walls and the room was so loud... I knew I needed a curtain with a subtle, quiet pattern that wouldn't draw too much attention to itself. The problem was, that wasn't what I wanted. I wanted something with flair, something loud and fun. This was my compromise: a curtain that is subtle and quiet when the lights are on, and something a little more fun when the sun or moon shines through...



I've been enjoying reading about pojagi here and there...

I guess what pojagi is to quilting, this star curtain is to applique. I made a curtain out of muslin, then placed squares of white cotton sheeting on the curtain, zig-zagged a star on with a buttonhole stitch on my machine, and used a seam ripper to cut the shirting off of the outside and the muslin out of the inside. Doing it that way seemed to be best for keeping the stars from warping or fraying in the process... but it was time consuming.

Details of the curtain can be found here, here and here.

0 Comments:

<< Home