Thursday, June 16, 2005

doll fruit and doll bread



As it turns out, I don't have many pictures of dollhouse stuff to share with all of you in blogland. Since I don't have a dollhouse, I didn't keep the stuff, and I'm only just now discovering the value of taking pictures of things I've made. Oh well.

I do have pictures of doll fruit and veggies, above and below, made over one Thanksgiving holiday out of Fimo clay by myself, my sister, my mom, my niece, and my sister-in-law-in-law (or whatever title it is I ought to give to my brother-in-law's sister.)

Most of the inspiration for the fruits (at least on my end) is due Klutz Press and their Incredible Clay Book. (I got the book from the local thrift store - I used to "volunteer" there, though having first dibs on great stuff was far more rewarding than a paycheck. I highly recommend the book, which has an excellent introduction to millefiori as well!)


Clockwise from left: bananas, chili pepper, strawberries, green beans, grapes, a penny for size reference, lime, lemon, eggplant, apple, orange, green onion, regular onion, carrot, red bell pepper, pear, radish, jalapeno, and leeks.

My dollhouse-furnishing friend Chris and I made Fimo clay fruit too, but as I recall we left the unbaked fruit on the porch one day and went splashing on the beach and a seagull came and ate up the brightly colored treats we'd left him. Ah, those were the days.

I'm more proud of my "homemade storebought" doll-sized white bread, which (so far as I can remember) was pretty much my own idea. I cut a bunch of tiny slices of bread out of a sheet of white Foamies. Then I stacked them up between my fingers and used an Olfa knife to shave them to pretty much the same shape and size (with smaller 'heels'). Then used a combination of brown, orange and pale yellow permanent markers to color the edges and the 'heels'.



I fashioned the bread bag out of a scrap of a sandwich baggie and some clear packing tape, and cut the bread tie out of a yogurt lid. Had a terrible time getting all the bread stacked up into the bag. It's been out of the bag ever since, and pieces of bread are living in the bottom of the big Tupperware container where our Playmobil people and their stuff live. Those that haven't met an untimely death by vacuum, that is.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Martha said...

WOW! That loaf of bread is amazing! And the fruits and vegetables are beautiful. Wonderful job.

6/16/2005 11:38 AM  
Anonymous kim said...

That loaf of bread is totally cool!! I am way impressed. Someday I will live in America and have such a theeng. I mean, someday I would like to do that, too. Maybe someday when our children are older we can work together on all kinds of tiny nifty things.

:)
kim

6/16/2005 6:03 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Those are amazing. I love the fruit but I really really love the loaf of bread!! Genius! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

6/16/2005 11:25 PM  
Anonymous wendy said...

The bread is awesome!! Super cute - you should check out my paper cranes great toast softies!!
I also love the miniture yard stick! Such a great idea for making the minitures fit!!
(thanks for the link! - i'm honored)

6/17/2005 8:53 AM  

<< Home