Wednesday, June 01, 2005

star quilt sketch



I've always admired star-pattern quilts, but there's still something in me that does not love an eight-pointed star. Stars ought to have five points. I have a special fondness for stars with five points; they seem alive to me in a way that four-pointed or six- or eight-pointed stars do not. I'm not quite sure why.

Sometime in college I developed a quilt block pattern for a five-pointed star, and have wanted to make a quilt of it ever since. I like this five-pointed star with its asymmetry, because it looks like the stars are dancing.

This is hastily recreated (computer cut and paste)from an old sketch of mine (in the old sketch, the squares were randomly dropped on the paper with text in between, not assembled into a quilt.) Someday if and when I make this quilt, I think I'll put rows of blue squares in between the star blocks. And I think the blues will be darker.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kim said...

Hey! Wasn't one of those stars your little site icon? But now it's gone!

I was going to tell you, as i was reading I first noticed that the stars weren't symetric, and then you started talking about them not being symmetric ... and then I thought to myself but it's nice, because they look like they're dancing and I scrolled down and read that YOU think they look like they're dancing! :) Great minds think alike. I like your star quilt very much -- even as a drawing!

6/01/2005 4:45 PM  
Anonymous She Who CAN Spell But Didn't said...

oooops, pardon my misspelling. I planned to fix it and then hit publish instead.

6/01/2005 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home