Friday, July 01, 2005

a flower fit for a jester, and other blooms


My allium finally bloomed. They are quite beautiful, though I think I loved them more just prior to blooming.

In this past two weeks I've also seen new in the wild:
harebell
hedge bindweed (wild morning glory)
horned bladderwort (I think... with babies in the wagon I couldn't get out on the swampy wet ground to check...)
michigan lily
purple clover
spreading dogbane
thimbleberry (photo below - I find the crinkled petals charming. they look like they are made of silk.)
yellow clover
yellow hawkweed



I've also seen some yellow blooms I can't identify on a shrub,
and some tiny pink bells I also can't identify.
That's good... it will give me something plant-related to blog about next summer.

In my garden I've had new blooms as well:
allium (at top of entry)
daylily
lavender
missouri primrose (below)
veronica (spike speedwell)



the missouri primrose is my new favorite. If the allium was a jewel fit for a princess, then the primrose is fit for a jester*. The flower buds are enormous (about 2" long) pale green to yellow, and covered with red polka-dots. They burst into an extravagant pale yellow bloom that dances in the wind - for one day. The next day they collapse dramatically and turn a surprising peach color, which doesn't even match the next day's yellow blossoms - but is beautiful in its own right.



*I am not belittling this flower by saying it's fit for a jester. A court jester, in olden times, was not merely the clown who made the king laugh - he was also the one who could tell the truth where no one else could. It would be an honor to be worn by the jester!

2 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

Oooh I wish I could see your missouri primrose in real life ... it sounds really neat! BTW your 'spreading dogbane' link goes to your allium picture. So I still don't know what dogbane looks like. Don't tell Dad.

7/01/2005 3:10 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

thanks for catching the link mistake! I fixed it.

bonus knowledge to impress Dad with (that I learned when I looked up "pretty pink flower" that is spreading dogbane): it's actually in the *milkweed* family. Which I wouldn't have guessed, looking at it. :-)

7/01/2005 3:22 PM  

<< Home