Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Font Tuesday.... er, Wednesday

I didn't get to post about fonts yesterday. I did manage to get something done... though it was nothing on my list. I got frustrated with the stuffed animal font because some of the letters are quite simple (like the 'A') and some have a lot of detail (like the 'G') and I can't decide where I'm going with the font. So I'm putting Stuffed Animal on hold for awhile.



Instead, here is a novelty handwriting font I'm calling Peppermint. I got it all inked and scanned last evening. Still have to import it to ScanFont, use that utility to smooth the letters enough-but-not-too-much, and then make the letters all the same size. (As you can see, my letters get bigger and bigger as I write them. That is my usual problem.) After resizing and some clean-up, I'll generate the font and try it out.

Look how many times I tried the 'M'. It just wouldn't work. I'm still not 100% satisfied, but I'll probably be able to stretch the curves of one of them in TypeTool to where I'm happy. Looking at it now the next morning, that's probably true of a bunch more letters as well.

I can't stand fonts that don't have a full set of punctuation and 'extras', so I'm adding lots of stars and other goodies.

What I'm excited to try this time is to see if I can make a black font from this outline font. Daniel observed with another font I was trying to ink that it should be easier doing it this way than the other way 'round - both easier to ink an outline, and also easier to delete existing inside curves to make a black font rather than generating them to create an outline from a black font. I'm still not sure how Daniel manages to figure these things out so quickly, but he's absolutely right.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Kim said...

does it generate vector images and bezier curves? I guess I'm "thinking in Canvas" because that's what I'm used to. If you could somehow import back and forth, you could have incredible power! And the outline/fill thing would be a breeze ...

7/20/2005 8:56 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

yup, vectors and beziers. It generates an outline of the font, so that an outline font has separate lines for the insides and outsides of each line (assuming you closed all your curves) so it's easy to delete the inside curve (that makes it an outline) and leave the outside one.

We only have Canvas for OS9, so I haven't tried importing/exporting, but I know you can, in theory, create fonts with Corel Draw's vector drawing.

7/20/2005 9:41 AM  
Anonymous wendy said...

I am impressed with your fonts. I have always wanted to make fonts, but never really tried. You are making some great fonts though! (I am glad that your little geniuses have such a great poppie!)

7/20/2005 5:13 PM  

<< Home