Tuesday, July 12, 2005

it's Font Tuesday - but it's really about KAP



I'd been so busy with our Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) I'd almost forgotten about my fonts. Here are the stuffed animal G, K and V. (A,B,C,D here and E, F,J here.) I realized with not a little sadness that my font-every-ten-weeks plan only works for fonts with 26 letters: no lowercase, no punctuation, no numbers. That's all I planned for the stuffed animals, but the other fonts will take a fair bit longer.



On the KAP front, we had a semi-successful venture in the local football field on Sunday, where it seemed like there ought to be enough wind for it to work but it just really didn't. BigE is manning the controls, above. If the photo wasn't so blurry (or shrunk) you could see the huge grin on his face.

Daniel did some online research and discovered that our kite, a five-foot delta conyne, is considered too small to launch a 'real' rig like ours, which is two or more pounds weight between the camera, servos, servo battery, gears and frame.

That's right; when I bought the camera I was thinking we'd build a cheap-and-easy rig with a wind-up timer hitting the shutter on a disposable camera... but I guess the plan just sort of grew in our heads over the three years we discussed it before building it. So it looks like we might be in the market for a bigger kite in the near future. (We're still well below the $500 limit we imposed on ourselves, so I need to stop wringing my hands now.)

And when I was going through the football field photos I discovered another 'keeper' from our first trip out, below. It's not even blurry! What a happy surprise!



The kids and I are hoping to go downstate to visit my parents and sister and her family this weekend. We're bringing the kite and the KAP rig, and if there's enough wind and enough luck (and a large enough grownup-to-kid ratio), I might have some photos to share next week...

but even with the best of intentions I'll probably forget all about my fonts. KAP is just too exciting. Oh well, the fonts will give me something to do (and blog about) this winter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moogie said...

Sorry, our web page is so out of date -- good incentive to up date, I am glad you decided to look thru your pictures again the Lodge is great and I can see the GRIN thru any blurs!

7/12/2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Awesome stuff, Kel. Love reading about it!

7/13/2005 2:53 AM  
Anonymous wendy said...

Such fun with the kite. I would have loved this as a child!! You are making good memories for them.

7/13/2005 11:02 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

I'm glad you CAN do it with your crew, Kel. I Chickie and BigE both look sooooo happy!

7/13/2005 12:02 PM  

<< Home