Saturday, July 09, 2005

liftoff!



Last evening Daniel finished our Picavet and other small pieces of remote control work for our kite-mounted camera.

Last night Bubbie and Mac and I were hit with the stomach flu. Daniel got it this morning as well.

Nonetheless, we packed a picnic supper and met Daniel after work to fly the kite and the camera. (Yes, I was THAT excited.)

There wasn't a lot of wind. It took nearly an hour to get the kite aloft, and there wasn't enough wind to hold the camera up in the air for long. But we managed to do it!



Among the 46 shots we managed to get, 20 of them looked like the one above.

I'm still getting used to the 'tilt' feature, and when I thought the camera was looking at the horizon, it was looking at a 45 degree angle down. Most of the time I had the camera pointed nearly straight down.

BUT... we got one slightly blurry winner (below, shrunk down so the blurriness disappears) as well as the obligatory from-the-kite self-portrait (at the beginning of this post, though I didn't manage to get Daniel in the shot.)



AND... no equipment was dropped or dunked in the making of these photos. So we're calling it a successful maiden voyage.

Now we can go to bed and dream about all the pictures we'll take from the sky when there's more wind... and when our tummies feel better.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Jon said...

Oooh, you're right: the line of sailboats is a winner. It's not one of those boastful "look at how spectacular I am! I am a KAP photo!" kind of shot -- but it's seen from just high enough to make it clear that it's not possible that there's nothing unusual about the picture. What a cool thing when there's just a small but undeniable difference in point of view.

7/09/2005 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Kim said...

Totally OTALLY cool!!! Way cool! I'm very impressed. Are you bringing the KAP set up downstate with you?

I love the obligatory portrait and Chickie dancing along.

7/09/2005 9:40 PM  
Blogger Moogie said...

Wow, I too liked the obligatory portrait, Kim is right that is quite a jig Chickie did and don't I see the legs of the kite flier?

7/09/2005 10:24 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

WAY cool, Kel! Thanks for sharing...and hoping everyone's tummies feel better soon!!

7/10/2005 12:13 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

What a great hobby! I'm way impressed....and I LOVE the sailboat shot! You guys are SO cool!

7/10/2005 12:19 AM  
Anonymous kelly said...

thanks everyone!

Yes, the rig is coming downstate with us. We're hoping to pull Poppie out from behind his computer and down to the park with us.....?

the legs in the portrait are not Daniel's... they are of our friend Bumpus, who even brought us Cokes while we were flying. Now THAT was cool.

7/10/2005 6:49 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

WHAT A BLAST! I have a hard enough time getting a kite off the ground at all. What a great thing to do together with the family. I've never heard of this before until now.

7/11/2005 1:50 AM  

<< Home