Thursday, July 14, 2005

Mmm... cumin

We arrived downstate... without a camera, because we decided to send the camera and kite rig with Daniel to the kite store on the way back home (he drove us all the way to my parents' house for our vacation on his only day off, what a nice guy!) Daniel is shopping for a new bigger kite for us and is going to bring our rig and hopefully a new bigger kite down to us on Sunday.

Meanwhile, without my camera I'll write about something different:

If it was not for my needing about 8000 calories a day just to survive*, I would probably eat this all summer long:



cucumber salsa.

It's a recipe from my sister, adapted to what's available in our local mini-supermarket.

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Jalapeno Tabasco (the green Tabasco)
1 tsp celery salt
1 Tbsp minced garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper, or to taste

2 medium cucumbers, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, finely chopped (or use any color but green)

mix vinegar with salt and spices. Add veggies and stir. Let sit two hours or more until flavors combine.

It's also excellent wrapped in whole wheat tortillas, though it doesn't photograph as well that way.



*there are some fringe benefits to nursing twins...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Kim said...

bah, I wish MY body needed that many calories. I do not lose weight easily, even while nursing.

What was in my recipe that you couldn't find at your store? My recipe is only a conceptual starting point anyway...

I wonder if I still have cukes in the fridge? OOh maybe I can get some at the Farmer's Market - is it cuke season yet? Cucumber salsa sounds goooood.

7/14/2005 5:07 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Oh yum! I'll have to try this!

7/14/2005 5:54 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

I love cucumber pickle and I will
have to try your sister's recipe!

7/15/2005 1:25 PM  
Blogger slugmom said...

hi kelly,
i am so glad you came today and that the twins are happyer. even though this has nothing to do with your post, i wanted to comment. ;-)
Ilia

7/16/2005 1:13 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

kim - Hungarian wax peppers was in the original recipe I think... some sort of exotic pepper that you pureed. I subbed the jalapeno sauce and that worked well enough for me. :-)

ilia - I'm glad the twins are SLEEPING now and glad we get to see you again tomorrow!

7/16/2005 8:45 PM  

<< Home