Monday, July 11, 2005

Summer and death

new garden flowers blooming now: Bachelors Button, Coreopsis 'Moonbeam', Cosmos, Cranberries, Marguerite, Oregano Thyme, Poppies.

new wildflowers blooming now: Black-eyed Susan, Bull Thistle, Cinquefoil, Milkweed, Pineapple Weed, Queen Anne's Lace, St. John's Wort, and some purple thing that sounds similar to Fireweed. must get another wildflower guide...

Gardens and roadsides now are lovely, despite how dry everything is. Everything is in bloom, even annuals grown from seed.



...it's the time of the year when I start thinking about death again.



The solstice has passed, the days are getting shorter, and already the 'new' flowers blooming are the ones that signal "late summer" to me.... Summer is half over. I start to notice seed pods, and seeds and fruits as often as I do flowers. One one level it's silly to start worrying about winter and death right now in the middle of summer and life.



But life and death are always intertwined on earth. Joy and sorrow are always joined together here, until Heaven. The challenge is not to ignore winter or pretend it isn't coming. It's not to try to hold winter off or prevent it. The challenge is to know and accept that winter is just around the corner, and to still celebrate summer to the fullest. To use the reminder of winter to remind me that summer is fleeting and that I should enjoy every minute of it; I should store up all the sunshine and flowers and growth and joy for the winter. I guess it's the spiritual and emotional version of freezing and canning and drying the fruits and vegetables of the summer.



I'm glad there's still a lot of summer to harvest!

1 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

We've had such an unseasonably cool and damp summer so far, that I hardly feel it's begun "for real" in some ways. We've had a few random hot days but...nothing lastingly oppressive. I felt a personal affront going into a store the other day and being faced with with "summer clearance" and sales of school supplies. Ack!

Love the writing, of course. Love the pics as well.

7/11/2005 1:45 PM  

<< Home