Tuesday, August 02, 2005

last Font Tuesday until fall: Peppermint



I finished my Peppermint Outline font. From it, as Daniel suggested, it was easy to make a black (filled-in) version of the font too. I could do more tweaking, but since I've decided I'm too busy, I will just let it rest as it is. Someday (in addition to endless tweaking) I'd like to make a "Peppermint Inline" version, with very fat outlines and just a thin white inline.

The Peppermint fonts were inspired by a label I hand-lettered for Vegan Peppermint Cocoa, my favorite cocoa. It isn't exactly healthy, but to me it tastes better than Swiss Miss and is probably also a little better for you. (Or for me, if I'm the one drinking it, I guess.) It's my own recipe, adapted from some online make-your-own recipe that just used powdered coffee creamer and tasted too fake-creamy to me.

Vegan Peppermint Cocoa

3 cups Moo Not (powdered soy milk available from Dixie Diner*)
2 cups powdered non-dairy coffee creamer
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 tin Peppermint Altoids**, ground (I use a spice grinder)
1/2 teaspoon salt

mix well in a half-gallon container (the 2-lb Moo Not container works well.) You can use empty cocoa containers if you want to give them as gifts (Hershey's is shown in photo above.) You need about 1/4 cup mix per 8 oz hot water.

*Dixie Diner: FWIW, we buy their Moo Not to make cocoa, and also their Beef Not - which doesn't taste like anything, but it's cheap and nutritious. We use it in highly spiced recipes. DD's spices and dried veggies are good and fairly cheap. We have not liked any of their pre-made meals or other food substitutes, though.

**You can also use 1 ground cup of hard candy such as Starlight Mints or Lifesavers (that's 1-1/4 cups before grinding), and reduce the sugar to 1 cup. I've enjoyed Spearmint and Wintergreen flavored hot cocoa, but I did NOT like the Raspberry Cocoa I made!



mmmmmm.....cocoa.

...Oh yeah, the fonts! You can get them here as PC TrueType fonts (which also work for Mac OS X) or at my Font Foundry.

Now, no more fonts until October. But probably some more kite-flying, kids and gardening. I don't know how much crafting, though... I've caught up on all the old crafts that I did take photos of, and would have to beg and borrow to find any of the crafts that I gave away without documenting. Maybe I'll have to start writing about Daniel's hobbies now! :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

COOOOOL font. I'm amazed that you can come up with so many distinct ones and still think of more!! I want to be more like you; I don't make neat things. ... I made fresh salsa the other day, maybe that counts. LOL

8/02/2005 9:55 PM  
Anonymous wendy said...

I love the little accents, bird, shooting stars and the candy icons. Plus the letters are great!

8/03/2005 5:11 PM  

<< Home