Saturday, September 10, 2005

Baking Friday

With Chickie gone to Kindergarten Monday thru Thursday, and BigE gone to First Grade all week - our house is very, very quiet.

Somewhat unrealistically, I thought this meant I would have lots of time to make fonts and play with crafts. This turns out not to be the case: the time alone with God and the time spent cleaning (both of which I should have been doing all along!) easily take up most of my newfound free time that the twins haven't already claimed, and a few other obligations are going to take up the rest.

So... no Font Tuesday. All things considered, it's a pretty small way to "die to self."

Instead of having Font Tuesday this fall, I'm going to have Baking Friday. Chickie has wanted to help me bake just about since she's been born, and since Mac and Bubbie came along I have been in too much of a hurry to indulge her. So my goal for this fall is to get all the dishes and laundry and cleaning done Thursday, have frozen pizza for dinner on Friday, and spend the babies' naptime baking with Chickie.



This week we made pies - strawberry rhubarb pie for a neighbor, and apple pie for us.



Bubbie woke up from his nap in time to show off his new "climb up on the chair by himself" skill, and helped himself to the extra apple pie filling.

The apple pie crust got smashed when the handle swung out of our makeshift pie-safe (an upside-down steamer basket) just as I set it over the pie.



Fortunately the designated-as-a-gift pie survived, though I still need to learn to seal the edges a little better!

That's OK. I'm far more concerned with Chickie and I both learning to be generous and have fun than with producing beautiful pies ... and maybe with a little practice we can have beautiful pies as well.

And the smashed apple pie tasted delicious anyway.

Now I would really like to think of a special activity to do with BigE each week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous kim Anderson said...

Beautiful pies! That's a neat idea ... I sometimes toy with the idea of finding slots to do one-on-one things with the kids ... or baking regularly ... I like both ideas but can't figure out how, ever ....

Chickie looks so much like you!

9/10/2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I sure agree with Kim with the "Chickie looks like you" feeling! Seriously!!

Great idea. The guys have always liked baking, Keys especially when I've let them be in the kitchen. Most of my one-on-one time has been with Fred or Keys, since they don't argue quite as much and both follow directions reasonably well.

Great ideas, great pics and...mmmmm....now I want pie!!!

9/10/2005 6:57 PM  

<< Home