Tuesday, September 20, 2005

high school handwriting



I got to finish a font for a friend who graduated from High School this past spring. Above is a sample of her actual handwriting (writing a form letter I invented that used all the capitals, numbers and punctuation I could think of) -- below is the completed font.



It was a more intriguing project than I expected. Nearly every letter had two or more forms to it - what looked to me to be "childish" letters and "grownup" letters. Curiously, the more childlike letters appeared to be where she was taking her time and making it "neat and tidy", and the more adult looking letters were her "in a hurry" letters. The adult letters showed more personality and I liked them better.

To make the font look like her handwriting, I had to find a balance between her child-like letters and her adult-like letters. It was a challenge.

She left for college before I had a chance to hear whether or not she liked it. I also loaded the font full of her dingbats - smileys, funny faces and music notation -- so, if nothing else, that part ought to be fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

So now I'm all curious, of course...not that it actually matters...but who the original handwriting belongs to! Can you give me any cryptic hints?

9/20/2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

hmm... yes. The handwriting belongs to the youngest sister of one of the girls we took to Sea Shell City long ago, does that help? ;-)

9/20/2005 3:36 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Yup! And...dang!

9/20/2005 6:30 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Oh...and to self correct, my original comment should have read "...but to whom the original handwriting belongs", I think... just to make things clear...

9/20/2005 6:32 PM  

<< Home