Friday, October 28, 2005

eat your Halloween vegetables, dear

BigE's first grade class had a Halloween party today. I signed up to make a veggie tray, because the teacher was imploring us to bring healthy snacks. So... no cute pumpkin cookies, no ghost marshmallows, no cupcake monsters with candy-corn teeth.

What's a mommy to do? A mommy who wanted to use her creative juices to make new, different, exciting Halloween costumes, and instead her kids ask for the same thing as last year?

Well, the answer came last night at about 9 pm. Piece by piece.



First came the flat pumpkins, formerly known as carrot circles.



the lovely plastic sign was cut out of an extra plastic raisin-canister lid which I saved even though it didn't fit any cheap tupperware I own. I folded the pumpkin part up and covered the base (ring part) with the carrots. I mean, with the flat pumpkins.


Next inspiration was the shrunken haunted forest, formerly known as broccoli and cauliflower. Then a pepper bonfire.

Then the hard part: red cabbage and celery. I thought of lots of spooky names for both of them... purple witches' cloaks, green moldy bones, etc. and then I thought, yuck! who's going to want to eat that? And why am I glorifying witches and death and rot?

So eventually late in the evening, the purple cabbage became "more leaves to rake" and the celery became stacked firewood. And I found a creative use for all my non-essential blank cheaperware lids.



I went to bed tired but happy. Halloween vegetables were adorned with shrink wrap. They went to school with BigE in the morning.

And they returned, 98% of them, in the afternoon.

These are first graders, after all, and presumably at a Halloween party there wasn't a lot of incentive to eat carrots, even when shaped like flat pumpkins. So it's veggies tonight and tomorrow night at my house, and veggie soup for supper on Sunday. I can hand out the rest to any trick-or-treaters I get on Monday night, right?

3 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

Well *I* think that is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I am very impressed! I would eat flat pumpkins. I'm glad you stopped short of carving faces into each of them, though. And veggie soup sounds good to me, too. These first graders these days, they don't know classy snacks when they see them. Why, when *I* was a child ... oh, wait, I wouldn't eat veggies when I was a child.

10/28/2005 5:25 PM  
Blogger Wool Winder said...

I guess "healthy" is not popular at Halloween.

10/29/2005 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Siri said...

We could all use a great big plate of that after all the sweets these past few days...
Very clever. Too bad it didn't go over so well. At least your family will be eating healthy.

11/02/2005 1:54 AM  

<< Home