Friday, October 28, 2005

Soap dough... a first semi-successful attempt







I made my own soap dough on Monday.

Here's the recipe I used: 5 cups Dreft, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup baby oil (plus more on hands), small amounts of paste food coloring. As you can see, it was as messy and sticky as making hamburger patties. What you can't see in the photos is that it reeked of laundry-detergent perfume. Pyew!

Next time I won't use Dreft. Well, I guess I'm stuck using Dreft until the box is gone... sigh. I'm hoping Ivory Snow isn't quite as perfumey, or else I may be grating bars of soap to do this.

Next time I will also use more baby oil and less water. And if I can find a less-perfumey laundry soap, I might use Kool-Aid instead of paste food color, so that the soap dough can smell like lemonade or mango-berry or whatever.

After I got the dough into sticky balls, I left it out to dry for a day or so. It behaved much better then, and BigE and Chickie were able to make cute little pumpkin soaps.

After two more days, the leftover dough hardened into solid lumps. So I guess I should either use less laundry soap/more water, or use the dough right away.

Overall, the homemade detergent bath soaps were not as fun to handle as the expensive soaps that came with the soap dough kit. They tended to be sticky and/or crumbly, and they had a gritty texture from the undissolved detergent. If I added more water to dissolve the detergent, they turned back into raw hamburger consistency.

But my kids still had fun with it. And they had some homemade bath soaps to bring to school for the make-your-own pumpkin contest, so it served its purpose. Now I have to get cracking on Otto costumes and veggies for this afternoon's school party!


4 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

It's a good thing I know you in person, or I might think you were SuperMom from your blog, LOL!!! Making homemade soap-dough AND making costumes and a veggie tray for a party ... TODAY! And here I sit, on my rear, having accomplished taking a shower and reading some history. And shouted, "Quit shouting!" a few times. lol.

Oh, on second thought, I don't want that first sentence to make you feel like you shouldn't blog about the cool things you do. I love to read them, and they encourage me to try neat things. I'm just being a whiner about my own slothiness today ~ as if it's outside my control. You could send the Dreft home with mom, I'll buy it off you if you want. I like overly-perfumed detergents. LOL!

10/28/2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger Wool Winder said...

Kelly,
The soap turned out cute. I bet your kids had fun with it. And, you had me laughing with your reply to Kim!
Tracy

10/28/2005 3:39 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

*giggle* I saw Betsy O. today and she was telling me that when she met me, she thought I was supermom because I had made those Easter dresses for the girls and I. She thought I was SO organized. Bah ha ha ha! At least she knows better now.

I don't have a lot of dishes to do because I have a dishwasher and because I have been using foam plates shhh don't tell your environmental friends. Can't even BURN the foam ones! And we're ordering pizza for dinner because I have a headache and whined about it. Squeaky wheel gets the pizza. I'm supposed to be ordering it RIGHT NOW! ACK! I hear Dale at the door I gotta go!

10/28/2005 5:29 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

(a re-submitted comment from earlier - was the 2nd comment - now edited to remove the name of my child!)

LOL, I'm not supermom. You homeschool and you have your kids trained to help clean the house, even if you don't manage to do it every single day. I think YOU are supermom.

Monday I did soap dough while avoiding dishes. Wednesday I did costumes and kids did soap dough while still avoiding dishes. Last night I stayed up way too late making a veggie tray (blog details to follow when it's all finished)...

...and this morning BigE had to eat his cereal out of a large mug and Daniel had to eat his cereal out of my 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup because... I still have not done dishes!

So guess what *I'm* doing this afternoon, after I finish sitting on MY butt in front of the computer feeling sorry for myself for my enormous pile of dirty dishes?

Either that or we could have frozen pizza on paper plates just one more night, if I can manage to clean the pizza cutter.... hmm, yeah, that's it....

Dreft is yours. My free gift to you. Along with some saffron, but I'll make sure not to pack them together!

10/28/2005 5:32 PM  

<< Home