Friday, December 16, 2005

Hnow day



School was cancelled yesterday, and today was a planned vacation. Our snow day (Mac and Bubbie say, "Hnow! Hnow!" as they point out the window and bounce on their toes) wasn't school for BigE or Chickie, but it sure was for me: I learned (or re-learned) lots of important lessons.



I learned that the window quilts we hung make great hiding places for toddlers.

I learned that the joy of having a snow day can evaporate quickly, and that kids can start major wars -- even before 9 am.



Fortunately, I have a grandma who loves us and each year sends us a gingerbread house kit. The timing couldn't have been better.



I learned that kids might not decide on their own to go out and enjoy the snow, but that when essentially forced outside by a tired and crabby mother (whose overstimulated and oversugared toddlers won't nap) they actually have a wonderful time.

I also learned that I have forgotten how to rest, to slow down, to enjoy a 'snow day' or a Sabbath. Instead of suiting up Mac and Bubbie and enjoying a Hnow Day together, I tried unsuccessfully to get a normal Thursday workload done. I tried to back up our computer files, tried to do dishes, tried to do laundry. There is always work to be done, and I always feel like I need to be doing it - instead of trusting God and resting.



Papa, having plowed since 5:30 AM, came home at 3 and took Bubbie for a plow ride (and nap) at a neighbor's house. Mac fell asleep in my lap and forced me to rest and reflect for awhile.

Today, God has given me another chance at a Hnow Day. Mac and Bubbie woke up at 5:30 again, excited to see Papa off for another day of plowing. I did dishes last night after the kids went to sleep, so I'm hoping that I can learn to rest with my kids today.

4 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

Hm.

I really like your post.

I just wrote something that seems (to me) nearly the opposite. At least in it's "lesson to be learned"

I guess that's okay. We can be at different stages of life. I don't think i need to learn to rest, I've got the resting down so well I'm a full fledged sloth. I used our hnow day to sit at the computer and blog. And blog. And read blogs. And post. All the work I needed to do just sat. I need to learn to be responsible.

I love the picture of Mac napping with you. So sweet!

12/16/2005 7:42 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

LOL, does that mean I'm going to be wrestling with sloth in three to five more years? ;-)

I'm pretty slothful nowadays, actually. But I don't think being slothful is always just an excess of 'real' rest. Being slothful doesn't restore or refresh me. REAL rest does - be it a nap or playing with the kids or gardening, or even (sometimes) blogging.

I think it's like binge eating. I 'binge' on time in front of the computer (unhealthy 'food') and then feel like I ought to 'starve' myself by working and working to 'catch up'.

Sometimes it's hard to tell what 'healthy' rest is and what is just sloth... especially after I've been slothful/overworking for a long time. sigh...

12/16/2005 8:50 AM  
Anonymous kim said...

...wrestling with sloth in three to five more years...

I can't figure out what you mean by that, because it seems to imply I'm ahead of you in some way ... I think of you as ahead. And I've always wrestled with sloth, I just didn't call it that until recently, LOL!

Actually, as I read your response, I think we're not at such different stages after all -- I see sloth the same way, as wasting time in ways that does not truly restore or refresh me. And what I am usually doing isn't resting at all, it's slothing. And binge eating, that hits a little too close to home as an analogy.

The study I've been (struggling to do) doing hits on that; I'm looking for real rest, real nutrition, but I'm looking in the wrong places (sloth & gluttony) and find myself not refreshed, not healthy, not satisfied. All because I'm trying to put myself first all the time, I think.

The problem is, how come I can KNOW that and believe it ... and still not change?

12/16/2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

I was thinking that in three to five more years I'd have much more time on my hands to waste in sloth (or to use productively, or to truly rest), because my kids would be older.

Since you have older helper(s) I thought maybe you were already to the stage of being ABLE to rest (or sloth) more, rather than just frantically trying to keep pace.

Doesn't the Apostle Paul hit on that "I know what i want to do, but I don't do it, instead I do what I know I don't want to do?" in Romans 7 or thereabouts? My own sloth (and/or obsessive workaholism) doesn't surprise me at all... sigh. Good thing for grace. ;-)

12/16/2005 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home