Wednesday, December 28, 2005

a love of dingbats

I have a lot to say on the subject of Christmas, but I fear it will have to wait until after New Years, when it will be hopelessly after-the-fact. Oh well...

Meanwhile, as my sister Kim already blogged about, I made handwriting fonts for her family for Christmas. Since she put up samples on her blog, there isn't a lot left to say here...



...except for the dingbats. I think dingbats are my favorite part of the fonts I make - they're the frosting on the cake, the chocolate chips in the cookie.

Uncle Dale (with Kim's help) got six or eight face icons, all with different facial hair to match his current style or mood. Kim created about fifty little cats, dogs, flowers, squiggles and other fun. Princess Leia had several different sizes of emoticons. Gark had upside-down emoticons. Emidala and Tobi-wan didn't include any extras, but Emidala had a doodle on her page that I included, and Tobi-wan put smilies inside his letters.

LittleD and Baby Buzz were too young to participate. Which means I get to make them all another font in a few more years, hooray! It's a fun challenge to try to re-create someone's handwriting. And because our whole family now has the fonts, we can even email each other in our own handwriting. Silly, but fun!

5 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

Very VERY fun. I really like the way Dale's 'stubble' turned out, too, much neater than it looked in Canvas. Thanks again for going through all the time and effort to fontify us. Maybe I will commission you for my birthday. I'd consider getting the program, myself, except then I'd never get ANYTHING done again. :)

12/28/2005 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Jon Boyd said...

Oooh! I agree: the dingbats are deelightful. Would the family consider allowing Kelly to publish a public font of dingbats only? I for one would love the chance to use some of these, especially since I'm getting a little stubbly myself.... :)

12/28/2005 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Jon Boyd said...

Speaking of dingbats, let me recommend a freebie "FF Dingbests" available on FontShop's free font's page: http://www.fontshop.com/features/free.cfm

12/28/2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

ooh, I'll gladly do more for your b'day, Kim! I should be caught up on life by then... bwa ha ha ha... well, I will need a fun distraction anyway.

Jon, I'd like to keep Dale's faces for his "trademark" but would be happy to make you your own. I'll email you about it. Thanks for the free font tip, I downloaded it... and the goofy 'Blackcurrant' as well!

12/28/2005 12:42 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

thanks for protecting the 'trademark' of Dale's icons, Kelly ~ he does use it for 'trademark' things like his website, and it was made just to be *his* personal icon. :) lovingly crafted just for him.

It would be fun to make an all-dingbat and doodad font sometime ...

Jon, thanks for the link to the free font. I didn't get the dingbests, they didn't appeal to me, but I did like the Blackcurrant! I'm a sucker for funky fonts. :)

12/29/2005 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home