Saturday, April 01, 2006

for my sister-in-law-in-law



No obligation, express or implied, is put upon Tracy (my sister in law in law) for this idea. But since she made one of my other quilt designs, I thought I'd give her first dibs on my other strange and perhaps wonderful idea.

Essentially, you make a bunch of flat puzzle piece shaped stuffed animals, each with four buttons and four buttonholes. You can then assemble them into any quilt you want.



All measurements are tentative and nothing has been actually attempted by the dreamer who thought this up when things were slow in her secretarial job 15 years ago. So in addition to no obligation, there's also no guarantee, express or implied, that this might actually turn out. As a matter of fact, I can think of several problems:

  1. The buttons might not exactly be comfy to lay on.
  2. There might be gaps or goofy overlaps at the corners where the four puzzle pieces join.
  3. I don't know if the buttons will look fun on the quilt, or will just look dopey.
  4. The puzzle pieces just overlap, they don't actually fit together. And I fear they might look like they just overlap. I'm hoping the generic "puzzle piece shape" will overwhelm your eye enough that you'll see them as puzzle pieces rather than just... um, a mess.
  5. To make an eight-foot-square quilt, you'd have to sew 64 stuffed pieces. That just seems like a LOT of work. Even if you sew flat pockets inside out and only hand-stitch a small section closed.
  6. And 64 pieces means 256 buttons. And worse, 256 button HOLES.
  7. Perhaps you can tell by this list that I don't have an innate love for sewing.


Nonetheless, the idea still attracts me. It's on my list of things to try someday. But hey, Tracy, if you want to try it, I'd be thrilled and honored. Ditto for anyone else who stumbles across this blog entry and wants to have a go at it. But if you do, please let me know... especially if you figure out any shortcuts!

4 Comments:

Blogger tracy said...

BRING IT ON!!!

I just love a challenge, and I have a computerized buttonholer on my machine and a stitch that will sew on actual buttons so-shortcut #1.

I have seen ottomons that are puzzle pieces and can be put together to form a bench. I have always admired those.

I need to finish the other quilt before I begin the new one. I just have one more border to quilt then bind it, so I am almost done. I will post a pick when I finish.

4/01/2006 4:09 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

That's a great idea ...

as an alternative, what about velcro circles? Then they'd only show up on some pieces, the other ones would be on the under side -- although with buttons you've got a 2-sided option.

I really like the idea - does Tracy work on commission? :-D

Or maybe that can be a project for my budding seamstress, who, with Cz genes would start it with gusto and then, perhaps, leave it unfinished for years. :-)

4/01/2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

p.s. - those are GORGEOUS sketches! :-D

4/01/2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Dawn Penguin said...

I'm thinking you could double the dimensions and need only half the pieces ;-)

4/26/2006 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home